I used a tip from dakkadakka when stripping the ancient paint from the Horrors of the Marsh: Pine-Sol, a floor cleaning liquid available here in the US. Easily enough obtained, I placed the minis in a tin can, with the Pine-Sol, and left it for a few days. The paint drifted off gently over time, becoming very gummy and pliable - there was still much effort required with toothpicks and a toothbrush to dislodge stubborn areas.
Overall the end result was satisfactory, although on subsequent projects I have used more powerful paint-removing products. Always be careful when you use this stuff, even the Pine-Sol, conserve your health, don't breath it in.
So here are some pics showing the originals with all of that disgusting layered paint you saw in the previous post removed (the gray, darker ones). The shinier, brighter versions are the never-painted ones from the set I bought recently.
I'm so freaked out because I've been watching the beginning of John Carpenter's The Thing while putting this post together. Movie's a total freakout.