Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Horrors of The Marsh


This set is the first set of minis I ever owned. Grenadier number 2010 "The Horrors of the Marsh." It was given to me by my brother on a birthday, I don't remember how old I was, maybe 8. I was shocked at the concept of me actually owning my own set of minis. Originally painted with 8-year-old skills with enamel paint, layer after layer with attempt after attempt. I lost the box, but the minis stayed around, I bought this set on ebay as part of the 'restoration' effort. I always liked the red-box art, which is actually kind of scruffy, but invokes a sense of adventure...

I also recall being excited that my brother saw fit for me to get a set of creatures, which I saw as being far more interesting than the typical human-figures.

Here are a few shots of my originals, still in old paint, some of which had been spray-primed white in a long-lost effort at another paint-job.

Some of the paint on these was close to a millimeter thick, possibly more in some areas.

Resurrected from a box sitting on a closet shelf for many years:

Lizardman with club:

Crouching Lizardman with some monster-ish lance:

A favorite - the Salamanewt:

Snake and Rat (the snake having its bottom and base cut off for a diorama that never happened):

Lizardman with sword:

...and the mysterious Dragon Skull and the Troll (whom I used to refer to as the Wolfman). The troll obviously suffered some damage and as such will require some extra work/pinning:

I should also mention that the giant Vegetation Beast was missing, I have no idea where it is, but it was replaced in the 'new' set I got online. Both the originals and the new set will be newly painted, duplicate figures allowing for different color variations.

Next up I'll show the figs after paint stripping

2 comments:

  1. The snake doesn't look like it really needs a re-paint.

    That was a great set and i'm glad I still have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! This was the first set of figs I had as well, picked up at a garage sale years before I found my way into the hobby proper. My set was missing several figs, and then I let several more slip away. I recently got a fresh copy of the giant rat and painted him up, and I've expanded my lizardmen (they'll be troglodytes in my game) up to a dozen. Can't wait to stat the "vegetation beast" as a wizard's sick experiment crossing an umber hulk and a shambling mound. Anyway, funny to share a similar early miniatures encounter, great job on restoring the troll and I look forward to seeing more if you get to them!

    ReplyDelete